To join using computer, tablet or smartphone: https://zoom.us/j/96197705555
To join by phone: +1 929 205 6099 US Meeting ID: 961 9770 5555
This sermon considers The Shaping of Human Worth as Unitarian Universalism’s Act of Worship, and why that act is so important.
It’s Time to Socialize!
Members and Friends!
Food Security Initiative
- Your full name
- Your delivery address (including city)
- Your contact phone number
- Number of people in your household
Who Writes the Book of Life?
The UUCRT, located in Rock Tavern, NY, invites to join with us at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26 via Zoom as Rev. Jack Donovan presents Who Writes the Book of Life?
Rev. Jack Donovan has served as minister of UU congregations in Gainesville and St. Petersburg, Fl; as a hospice chaplain for several years, and as a Gainesville City Commissioner for two terms. Before entering the ministry, Jack served as a Peace Corps teacher in Micronesia, a USAID Refugee Officer in Vietnam, a staff member of Boston’s Community Action Agency, and a consultant on federal social programs. He also spent five years trying, but failing, to write the great American novel. Jack’s educational background includes a BA in literature from Dartmouth College, a Masters of Public Policy from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, and a Master of Divinity from the Starr King School in the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, CA. Jack’s greatest interest is in contributing to spiritually healthy communities.
Order of Service for 09/26/21
- Inviting Bell
- Musical Prelude: “Frederic Chopin: Mysterious Forest”
- Call to Worship: Adaptation of Jesus’ Beatitudes, from the New Testament Book of Matthew, Ch. 5, read by guest minister, Rev. Jack Donovan
- Welcome and Announcements
- Chalice lighting #452: Read by Linda Mangelsdorf
- First Reading: “From Socrates’ monologue on Love in Plato’s Symposium
- Offering & Offertory: Click here to contribute to the Sunday Basket
- A Story for All Ages: “Two Roads Diverged; a Summer/Fall Story” by Rev. Jack Donovan
- Sharing of Joys and Concerns
- Two Minutes of Silent Meditation
- Spirit of Life sung by the Orange County, CA Unitarian Universalist Choir
- Second reading: from the Reverend William Ellery Channing’s 1828 sermon, “Likeness Unto God”
- Zoom Recording Reminder
- Presentation: WHO WRITES THE BOOK OF LIFE? Presented by Rev. Jack Donovan
- Comments and questions from the congregation
- Closing Music: #354: “We Laugh, We Cry”
- Closing words and extinguishing the chalice: adapted from UU minister Alice Blair Wesley’s adaptation of the Pilgrims’ Covenant, formulated while still in England, gathering secretly
Recent UUCRT News
- How we stay Safe and Healthy in our Congregation September 18, 2021
- The Thucydides Trap February 7, 2021
- Let’s Thrive Part 1 August 3, 2020
- Widening the Circle of Concern June 25, 2020
- How adaptable is your congregation? How adaptable are you? July 1, 2020
- Four Priorities May 30, 2020
- Thank you May 2, 2020
- Preamble for the Pandemically Privileged April 23, 2020