Children and Youth Religious Exploration
Religious Exploration for Teens
At the UUCRT teens run the Fair Trade Store and Cafe every Sunday between 10am and 1pm, and on the second Saturday, during the Folk Guild Coffee House, between 7:30 and 9:30pm. New volunteers are always welcome. Stop by the table on Sunday and speak to Eliot or Yuna.
The UUCRT is proud to partner with the Unitarian Universalist College of Social Justice and the UU United Nations Office to offer teens (14 and up) these incredible opportunities.
From the UU College of Social Justice:
Now is the Time to Activate Your Summer!
This July and August, we are excited to host our annual Activate Youth Justice trainings, which are currently open for enrollment!
Do you know a youth who wants to learn more about social justice activism? Are you a youth who is already passionate about taking action for justice? Consider applying for – or spreading the word about – these upcoming programs:
• Activate New Orleans: Racial Justice & Beloved Community, July 15-22, 2018, in partnership with the Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal
• Activate Tucson: Sanctuary, Solidarity & Immigration Justice, Aug. 5-12, 2018, in partnership with BorderLinks
In these intensive, immersive and interactive programs, participants who attended high school (grades 9-12) during the 2017-2018 school year will have unforgettable experiences build community with their peers while deepening their understanding of spiritually-grounded social justice activism through the integration of hands-on learning and reflection. Alums of these programs frequently call them “life-changing” and you can read more on our blog about the power of Activate in the words of past participants.
Selena, who has participated in our Activate programs in both New Orleans and Tucson, recalls “These experiences brought me deeper awareness and inspired me to continue to gain an understanding of the injustices of the world and how we can help.”
Isak, who has attended Activate for the past two summers said, “My UUCSJ experience was my favorite week of my entire summer.”
Generous scholarships are available based on need and can cover up to 75% of the program’s cost. To learn more about and apply for these Activate youth justice trainings this summer, please visit here.
The UUCRT provides financial assistance to help youth in our community participate in these programs. Contact the minister for details.
Religious Exploration for Children 7 – 11; Baby Sitting for up to 6 Starts in January
From Laura Giner Bair
Beginning in January, the Religious Exploration Program at the UUCRT will be held the first, second and fourth Sunday of every month. This program will continue through the end of May, 2018.
After the Time for All Ages portion of the service, interested children will depart the service for their RE lesson. The lessons will follow the Wonderful Welcome curriculum available on the Unitarian Universalist Association website, UUA.Org. All Wonderful Welcome sessions follow the same structure. Between an Opening and a Closing, activities guide participants to explore and experience an intangible gift and how we, as Unitarian Universalists, share that gift with others.
Through the Wonderful Welcome lessons, we will strive to:
- Expand children’s understanding of their relationships with others, including people they know, people they will meet and all life that shares our planet
- Create opportunities for children to identify and practice a wide variety of welcoming behaviors; activate children’s capacity to welcome many manifestations of the interconnected web of life, including people, animals and the natural environment
- Teach children the concept of “intangible gifts,” qualities that can be shared but cannot be seen or held
- Teach the importance of welcoming as an act of Unitarian Universalist faith and as an expression of our Unitarian Universalist Principles
- Develop and enrich children’s sense of belonging to their religious education peer community, their congregational community and the larger Unitarian Universalist faith community
- Introduce practices of stewardship
- Help children create a shared atmosphere that encourages a sense of reverence, awe, gratitude and wonder.
Babysitting services will be available every Sunday from 10:15 until 12:15 beginning in January 2018 and continuing through June.